Monday, September 24, 2012

The Wounded Warrior Walker

"Greater love has no one than this: that they lay down their life for their friends"



I was never in the military but I tried to enlist at age 18.  I was declined because I had polio at age 10 and had been paralyzed for a year before learning to walk again.  I have since had 15 major operations on my back and knees, and have been diagnosed with acute spinal stenosis.  I am aafros survivor from follicular thyroid carcinoma.

My Dad was a pilot in the Air Force during WW II, and my younger brother was in the Air Force for 23 years.  This march is my way of thanking them as well as all others in military service for protecting my freedom.

I lost my teaching job in June, 2010, due to the economy, and have been looking for "re-employment" since then.  Rather than becoming dependent upon the government to support me, I will sell my house, car, and possessions and live on my Social Security (to which I have contributed for over 50 years).  My goal is to raise awareness and financial support for the Wounded Warrior Project.

Financial goals: to raise 1-2 million dollars for WW.

Starting in Tomball, TX, I intend to walk to Fairbanks, AK, then south to Los Angeles, the east to Houston,  TX, and on to Miami, FL.  From there I'll head north to Washington, DC, New York City, then west to Minneapolis, and finally south back home.

I have been training by walking 6-8 miles a day in my neighborhood.  This week I expect to get up to 9, and within two weeks I should be at 12.  Then I'll continue by adding my backpack to my workout.

When my journey begins in January, 2013, I'll walk 10-12 miles a day, six days a week, camping as needed and occasionally staying in shelters or inexpensive motels.

I'll carry a list of the names of the soldiers that are being aided by the Wounded Warrior Project, perhaps dedicating a particular part of my journey to each soldier.

I'll Maintain a blog of my travels, people places, events, etc.

At the end of the march, transform blog entries and reflections into book form.

I will be 73 years old when I finish my journey, but I will be younger than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment